Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Hot Off the Press

79-year-old Marilyn Hyson.
This summer I have been working as an intern at the Landmark in Holden. For those who read this blog but don't know what that is, the Landmark is the local newspaper for the Wachusett region, which includes the towns of Holden, Paxton, Princeton, Rutland, and Sterling. I applied in January to work as an intern, stating that my greatest interest was in copyediting.

Now a month into my internship, I have spent the least amount of my time as a copyeditor. Rather, Josh (my boss) has had me cover a number of stories in the area. In all honesty, although I was not originally planning on doing much reporting, I am really happy with the work I have been doing. Interviews are fun and I love to meet new people so I feel as if the benefits are twofold.

This past week, while covering an event at the Holden Senior Center, Kaitlin (my fellow intern) and I met the most amazing woman. Her name is Marilyn Hyson and she will be 80 this December. The remarkable thing about her, however, is neither her age nor her impressive abilities as a pianist. What is remarkable about Marilyn is that she lost her memory at age 38, and spent the next forty years recovering everything that she lost.

Her inspiring story made the front page of this week's paper, and I am so ecstatic, not just because Kaitlin and I wrote the piece, but also because Marilyn finally gets to share her incredible story with thousands of readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment